Five12 Numerology + New Years Wish

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Dec 31 17:11:47 CET 2010

Op 31-12-2010 16:22, James R. Coplin schreef:
>> Op 30-12-2010 3:49, James R. Coplin schreef:
>>> As much as I hate Mac,
>>
>> why, btw?
>
> Sorry for the coming rant but since you asked! :)
>
> I hate the whole computer as a lifestyle and users who are out to
> proselytize constantly.  If you like a Mac and you can make music with in a
> manner you like, I'm not about to tell you to change it even though I prefer
> PC.  Mac users seem to go out of their way and come out of the woodwork to
> tell me that I can't possibly be doing anything real or "pro" on a PC and
> that if I was serious, I really should switch to Mac as it will somehow be
> better.
>
> Secondly, I hate Apple for the same reason I hate Eventide.  Any product of
> theirs I've ever considered I've passed on as I had the distinct impression
> I was getting ripped off.  A laptop for $1600 that I can get in the exact
> same hardware config in PC for $600 or less is just highway robbery.  And
> before I hear the whole stability, reliability, crap, a couple of
> observations.  I have a Mac in my studio and it gives me *far* more problems
> than my PC.  It regularly just forgets where the boot volume is and gives me
> a little frowny face to show me he is really sorry.  Fuck that, I want a
> computer not a puppy.
>
> When I first went back to college all the school used was Macs and I learned
> to really loathe them up close.  I've had Macs loose so much work by failing
> to tell me it had an error on the write and lost the file.  Instead, it
> would tell me when I went to reopen it that the file I had saved was corrupt
> and inaccessible - again with a little frowny face.  I've sat in studios and
> had the DAW running on a Mac seize and crash.  The operator would deny that
> it was in fact a crash as PCs crash, this was just a minor glitch that will
> fix with a reboot.
>
> My Mac also routinely looses my USB peripherals. In my case, it tends to be
> my MOTU MIDI interface.  It is especially annoying as it says it knows it is
> there, but won't communicate with it.  Unplugging, replugging hundreds of
> times won't fix it.  Perhaps a half a dozen reboots will but really annoys
> me.  I have none of these kinds of issues on my PCs.
>
>> I have used an old version of Numerology in the past, but somehow
>> forgot about it. It looks quite nice now, and i was thinking of
>> updating.
>
> Tough call.  I would say that the introductory pricing makes the difference
> in price between the two versions trivial so I would get the Pro.
> Otherwise, unless you need custom scale quantization, OSC support and plan
> to use Numerology as your central DAW the SE should be fine.  Download the
> demo and play with it would be the best thing. I guess to get a sense of how
> much I like the Numerology product, given the above rant, the *only* reason
> I have a Mac in my house is to run Numerology.  I put up with all of it and
> [...]

Hi James, thanks for the rant! It's a real good one, and I
enjoyed it :-)

I definitely recognize a couple of your grips with the Mac.
Anyways, I use both Mac and PC, and it works for me.

Thanks for the extra tips on Numerology. Going to download the
demo as you guys suggested.

And to all music-barians:  I wish you and your loved ones the
best of the best in 2011 - with lots of productive tweaking :-)

Gert and Kristin