Five12 Numerology

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Dec 31 16:22:26 CET 2010

> Op 30-12-2010 3:49, James R. Coplin schreef:
> > As much as I hate Mac,
>
> why, btw?

Sorry for the coming rant but since you asked! :)

I hate the whole computer as a lifestyle and users who are out to
proselytize constantly.  If you like a Mac and you can make music with in a
manner you like, I'm not about to tell you to change it even though I prefer
PC.  Mac users seem to go out of their way and come out of the woodwork to
tell me that I can't possibly be doing anything real or "pro" on a PC and
that if I was serious, I really should switch to Mac as it will somehow be
better.

Secondly, I hate Apple for the same reason I hate Eventide.  Any product of
theirs I've ever considered I've passed on as I had the distinct impression
I was getting ripped off.  A laptop for $1600 that I can get in the exact
same hardware config in PC for $600 or less is just highway robbery.  And
before I hear the whole stability, reliability, crap, a couple of
observations.  I have a Mac in my studio and it gives me *far* more problems
than my PC.  It regularly just forgets where the boot volume is and gives me
a little frowny face to show me he is really sorry.  Fuck that, I want a
computer not a puppy.

When I first went back to college all the school used was Macs and I learned
to really loathe them up close.  I've had Macs loose so much work by failing
to tell me it had an error on the write and lost the file.  Instead, it
would tell me when I went to reopen it that the file I had saved was corrupt
and inaccessible - again with a little frowny face.  I've sat in studios and
had the DAW running on a Mac seize and crash.  The operator would deny that
it was in fact a crash as PCs crash, this was just a minor glitch that will
fix with a reboot.

My Mac also routinely looses my USB peripherals. In my case, it tends to be
my MOTU MIDI interface.  It is especially annoying as it says it knows it is
there, but won't communicate with it.  Unplugging, replugging hundreds of
times won't fix it.  Perhaps a half a dozen reboots will but really annoys
me.  I have none of these kinds of issues on my PCs.

> I have used an old version of Numerology in the past, but somehow
> forgot about it. It looks quite nice now, and i was thinking of
> updating.

Tough call.  I would say that the introductory pricing makes the difference
in price between the two versions trivial so I would get the Pro.
Otherwise, unless you need custom scale quantization, OSC support and plan
to use Numerology as your central DAW the SE should be fine.  Download the
demo and play with it would be the best thing. I guess to get a sense of how
much I like the Numerology product, given the above rant, the *only* reason
I have a Mac in my house is to run Numerology.  I put up with all of it and
ate crow from my buddies who have endured years of my Mac ranting just to be
able to run Numerology.

James R. Coplin