The War You Don't See

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 29 19:40:33 CET 2010

Op 29-12-2010 11:52, punkdISCO schreef:

> I can understand you don't want to watch the video, it is rather long.
> However, very little of the video is based on opinions, rather, it presents
> facts such as the 1+million dead, the 1/2million children our santions have
> killed, the news dociers that were ignored by all major news companies with
> the heads of the BBC and ITV being interviewed, giving comment on why they
> were ignored.
>
> Like you, I am very sceptical of opinionated interent media, but I am always
> interested in the raw facts and figures.

Opinion is very often the way you present facts, which facts you choose
to present, and more importantly, which facts you leave out.

If I first see that this one guy who invented the phrase 'public
relations' got women to smoke, and then that he designed propaganda for
WW1, it *completely* bypasses the background of what was a very complex
set of circumstances that led to the biggest armed conflict up till then.

What about the torpedoing of the Lusitania? That event was very the
Pearl Harbor of WW1. (The USA waited another two years before entering
into WW1, but the sinking greatly contributed to turning the USA away
from isolationism.)

*Of course* you cannot, ever, believe government information in times of
war (or even outside those times, but let's leave that aside for a moment).

So, a lot of civilians got killed during the invasions of Afghanistan
and Iraq. But how many deaths did Saddam Hussein have on this conscience
(presuming that he actually had one)? Anyone remember the Iran-Iraq war?
How many more would there have been, had he been left in power? We'll
never know.

If you just present the raw figure of civilian deaths, without putting
it into context, it becomes meaningless, really. Unfortunately, though,
it is very meaningful for those who have already decided that those
invasions were wrong, and just want more confirmation/ammunition.

Mind, I'm not expressing an opinion about whether those invasions were
justified or not - that's a question that you cannot answer with a
simple 'yes' or 'no' anyway.

But do you understand my reservations when these facts are presented in
such a way?

- Peter