BIMFEST

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Dec 18 18:30:41 CET 2010

On 18.12.2010 2:20, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> In my opinion, yes.  I would definitely consider replacing all my
> rack gear with 2 or 3 iPads and get into using them almost
> completely, especially since they now all support proper MIDI.

> Ah, but thats the rub!  I have amassed a small collection of MIDI
> controllers, from Faderfox to Akai, and they all just plain work with
> the iPad apps (right now) that support MIDI control.  Its a beautiful
> scene to be rejuvenating my interest in digital/software synth
> technology ..

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Three iPads each with a
iPad-to-USB and a USB-to-MIDI adapter, several MIDI controllers, as many
cables, mixing desk. Not to forget the bunch of power adapters that
you'll probably need for the rig. Doesn't sound much better than a
laptop, or a traditional keyboard workstation.

>> Back to the original subject of having iThings on stage - yes,
>> YUCK! Hopefully I am not now banned from MB!!

> Hah hah, you know how bad I feel for finally giving into my hatred of
> software synthesis on "computer platforms" and becoming an iPad
> fanboix?  Not much, coz there is actual, real, interesting, music
> being made .. ;)

I think there's a BIG difference between you enjoying the jam sessions
with a friend, and trying to entertain a large audience. There's
absolutely nothing wrong with the former, but for the latter you could
just as well put a CD in the tray and have a beer.

Martin