"We have always been at war with WikiLeaks."

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Dec 17 07:20:08 CET 2010

Op 17-12-2010 1:21, K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:

> On 17.12.2010, at 00:18, Peter Korsten wrote:
>
>> I've never claimed that. What I did was point out that nobody has ever
>> complained about any government except a western one. You can kill
>> thousands upon thousands of prisoners a year, and sell their organs, but
>> you won't read about it here.
>
> hm. Not true. I write e-mails to MPs all the time telling them to look into matters having to do with human rights in China and other places.

Fair enough. But the atmosphere on the Music Bar has a decidedly
anti-American edge to it, ever since 9/11, and a considerable part of
the American members left.

> I do think it makes sense to take care of those places you know best (and like) and try to make them sane and full of hope again.

Hey, the USA do quite a few messed up things. I do think, however, that
they're not nearly in the same league when it comes to certain excesses
as some other countries on this planet, and yet I've never seen any
criticism of those regimes on this list.

You could talk about the treatment of homosexuals or protesters in
Russia, or its annexation of parts of Georgia; the increasingly
aggressive way that China is pursuing its foreign policy;
state-supported death squats in Sudan; the whole secrecy surrounding the
death penalty (and indeed, the death penalty itself) in Japan; the slide
back into authoritarianism in Latin America; the whole messed-up
political situation in western and eastern Africa.

And what do we get? We get all excited about a memo that claims that
Berlusconi is 'vain and fickle'. Well, duh! I could have told you that.
But even if your neighbour is an idiot, you don't always want to tell
him that in public.

- Peter