16x8 buttons

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Dec 13 23:21:45 CET 2010

On 13 December 2010 21:42, Andrew Tarpinian <evildead at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Jonny Stutters wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Before I buy a second Novation Launchpad, can anyone think of a better
>> option for a controller that provides a 16x8 grid of light-up buttons?
>> The Monome 128 is out as they're as rare as hen's teeth (and
>> expensive).
>

> I can't think of any other options.
>
> There are a few monome 128's for sale in the monome forums (greyscale will be bus powered and walnut is larger and will not be). I wanted a 128 but got a 64 because it was available and figured it was a less expensive starting point.
>
> I'm really not becoming a fan of the launchpad buttons, for just triggering things simply it's fine, but when you are trying to play complex rhythms they show their cheapness, but that's probably just going over their intended use.

No, a day of searching didn't come up with anything.  I realised on
the way home from work that to really fit the use I had in mind I'd
have to get a 16x16 gird which'd be way too expensive.  I'm rethinking
my control scheme instead, which I /can/ afford to do.

You're right about the launchpad buttons, they're very squidgy.  I'm
not using it for very much where the timing matters fortunately.  For
the money I'm happy.

Jonny