Manta

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Dec 2 17:53:32 CET 2010

On 02/12/10 16:23, ibi sum wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 14:39 +0000, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
>> On 01/12/10 23:46, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
>>> taking a break from keys, trying to remove preconceived notions from my brain.
>> I think this could be an awesome machine for doing that :)
>

> Hmm .. I feel differently.  There is something about this that doesn't
> connect with me, musically.  Some sort of retrograde step backwards, but
> I can't really describe it.  I shall have to reserve judgement until
> I've played with it in person of course, but I have a feeling its still
> just a button-pressing method of playing software, as if, instead of a
> single mouse, there are many..

Yeah - there is still a division between sound and gesture, which, in terms of
how an audience relates to, or makes a relationship between gesture and sound,
means that this device is still operating as "utility".

OTOH, I think actually playing with something like this can certainly broaden
musical perspective. The demo http://www.vimeo.com/17039813 shows very
conventional music, but clearly the device is expressive, so, it may also be
expressive in unexplored, i.e. interesting, musical worlds.

However, to be really useful, there needs to be a deep connection between sound
and gesture, and this device doesn't have that. You can use *any* sound :)

Tony (HB)