A little ditty

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 25 16:10:33 CEST 2010

Having just completed building, and I mean everything right down to
making strings, a 10 string, electro-acoustic Kantele, which is a
Norwegian folk harp to the non-weegies, here's a little recording of it
through some FX using the piezo pickup, which I also hacked together:

http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/mp3/Kantele01-Guiseppi-Travels.mp3

Simple Travels.

The Kantele predates the modern harp, along with its Russian cousin, the
gusli, by 1,000's years + a few. It is similar to many other zither type
instruments, but has no chord bars, like the autoharp. It can be played
by either damping unwanted notes with one hand and strumming like a
guitar, or by using both hands and plucking, or plectrums, or hit with a
small stick, or whatever you like ;) Placed on a tabletop both amplifies
and alters the tone, but it can be used on your lap, or shoulder sling
as well. It can be tuned in several major/minor keys, as well as a
pentatonic, which would sound more oriental. I've only tried the A major
so far.

Here's a general website, if you've never seen/heard of a Kantele:

http://www.kantele.com/

I will post pictures of the Kantele when I get my bloody camera back,
but it is made of American Cherry body, figured Western Red Cedar
Soundboard, Black Walnut detail and chunks of spalted beech I found.

It rings like a bell!