I promise I'll get rid of the sig

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Apr 8 09:06:49 CEST 2010

Jay,

Quoting Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net>:
> No I mean how it was all just tacked onto the base OS rather
> sloppily .. but I guess I'm still stuck in the 90's as far as Windows
> is concerned, since I really haven't bothered with it in over a
> decade .. interesting to hear what Martin has to say about things, I
> don't know why it would have been any other way than my own prejudice ..

It's definitely worth taking a closer look into the Windows developer
eco-system again. It has improved vastly since the 90's, particularly
with things like .net and WPF and the associated tools (e.g. Visual
Studio for coding and Expression for the UI design).

As a developer, I am also glad that I can rely on the APIs being
stable. Where MS introduces new features and concepts (e.g. WPF,
managed code etc.) there is always a bridge to the old world that is
not overly painful to cross when needed (right now I'm doing DirectX
10.1 development in a managed environment - it wasn't designed for
that, but it works nicely...). Other vendors (let them be unnamed...)
have developed a reputation of breaking thing even between minor OS
releases - I'd rather not go there as a developer...

Martin