I promise I'll get rid of the sig

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 7 23:28:10 CEST 2010

Op 7-4-2010 22:51, Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> Why would they? Unless they start dropping market share, or the PC market will go away, why would they drop a very profitable business?

It might, at some point, no longer be profitable. This is one reason why
they are making the move towards content, because that's where the money is.

And this is why the likes of my employer (mobile phone company) is not
particularly happy with the likes of Apple, because they want to sell
their own devices with their own services and own content. There's no
money to be made in being a bit pipe.

> I don't see them dropping market share any day soon (still rising rapidly). I also don't see the PC market go away any time soon (although the device paradigm will rock it a bit).

You're forgetting corporate. Nobody can touch Microsoft there.

> PS: I'm getting an iPad (of course), just coz I think it's a very sexy piece of hardware and a fun toy. I have very mixed feelings about the direction Apple is going with their iDevices though. Very closed platform, restricted freedom, but so nicely made and a great way for independent software developers to make money again...

Apple is a content provider now. Their devices help them sell content.

- Peter