I promise I'll get rid of the sig

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 7 22:46:07 CEST 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Martin Naef wrote:

> Tony, Jay, and whoever wondered about multi-touch on Win7:
>
> Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Its going to be interesting how non-Apple operating-systems deal with
>> multi-touch.  Is it just multiple-mouses?  Is it something else
>> entirely?  Can you rely on the OS to tell you what a pinch move is,
>> etc?  Its like the WIMP days all over again ..
>
> Windows has had pen input for ages. The multi-touch is essentially an
> extension of these interfaces (they already support gestures).
>
> If you're using .net 4, adding multi-touch capabilities to an
> applications is a few tens of lines of code to include the multi-
> finger
> gestures (e.g. scale, rotate, and the various tapping options).
>
> I think it took me about an afternoon to build in full multi-touch
> into
> an application, including reading up the MSDN documentation...
>
> Applications that don't handle the new gestures still profit from
> multi-touch: tap, scale or pan gestures are translated into the
> equivalent mouse messages (e.g. the wheel, right mouse, etc.).

The thing that is really suck in my head is yea you can give an app
multi-touch, but is that a benefit for that app? For me it's more
about applications that will be developed that change the way we do
things because we are using our hands. In my experience with pen and
touch based interfaces on mac + pc, the only programs I want to use
them in are drawing applications that really support them. In most
other applications the interface was basically counter productive. On
the Windows side I think we should not worry ourselves with Win 7, but
Win Phone 7 Series/Zune, that's where the innovation will appear, and
courier but who the hell knows if that is ever real. I think with
these dinosaur companies they need this split from the archaic
"desktop OS" to really take a chance and do something forward
thinking. There are too many stigmas attached.