I promise I'll get rid of the sig

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 7 19:44:28 CEST 2010

Obviously no reviews yet, and thats why I am only keeping my eye on it.  I
am also keeping my eye on some Android based tablets that I have seen info
on.

The slate has been talked about quite a lot, and some specs and sales
materials surfaced.  Based on that info, I find it more interesting than the
iPad because of three factors:

1.  Its not tied to a single vendor's app store.  This is a *big one* for
me.
2.  I can develop my own software for it (cant do that on the iPad unless I
also have a mac to run the SDK  - at least, this is the impression I have
gotten by reading about the developer rules).
3.  As a result of 1 and 2 if i create something I like and wish to share (
I have a project I am working on the moment for my blofeld keyboard ) I can
share it with anyone
4.  USB port = interfacing with standard hardware thats available now.  No
vendor specific apple sanctioned peripheral required. That opens up the
possibility of MIDI or audio applications running out of the box
5.  User expandable/accessible storage.

Its not that this came from apple that bugs me.  Before its launch, I was
actually thinking this might be my first apple product that I buy (Ive
wanted a touch capable computer for a long time).  The above factors
scrapped that idea.

Microsofts new Windows 7 series for mobile devices was
also initially interesting to me, but when I read they are planning the same
kind of locked down MS App store or nothing strategy, then I discounted it
immediately.  Its the device and its capabilities I dont like, and has
nothing to do with the logo on the back.

Tony