nice article on SSD drives ..

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 2 00:13:59 CEST 2009

> Hmm. Actually, your system could be always on and go to sleep at night,
> but my experience with Windows is that leaving it on for an extended
> period of time (specifically, my laptop at work) will lead to some vague
> system process using up all CPU time. No doubt a result of crappy drivers.

There are hardware ram drives available, up to 16GB per one I think.
They can be run in Raid too.
The trick is the 18hour battery back up that charges when the computer
is on and retains the RAM drive, so theoretically your data is protected
for when you boot up next day.

I believe it's called the Gigabyte I-Ram or something.
It's quite affordable, but it probably has a quite limited field of
usefulness (or real speed freakiness)