nice article on SSD drives ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 1 22:28:24 CEST 2009

Jay Vaughan schreef:

> i'm almost to the point where a 16gig RAM drive would be suitable for
> my boot/apps partition, and 16gigs of regular RAM for system memory
> would be fine .. ;)
>
> of course, there's the always-on problem, but then a few copies of a
> 16gig swap file onto an SSD for safe-keeping is do'able ..

Hmm. Actually, your system could be always on and go to sleep at night,
but my experience with Windows is that leaving it on for an extended
period of time (specifically, my laptop at work) will lead to some vague
system process using up all CPU time. No doubt a result of crappy drivers.

If it were Solaris, it would be a different issue of course. My old Sun
Blade 100 at work is just super-stable. Doesn't do much either, but even
if it did, you can't really get it to stop working.

- Peter