Quote of the day

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 29 15:20:06 CET 2009

Gert van Santen wrote:
> Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:
>> Perry -
>>
>> I think this is for you:
>>
>> http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/mt/
>>
>> Just got myself a printed copy so I can read it properly.
>
> Looks interesting.
>
> Could you or Perry (when you have read it, if you read it), post
> some sort of mini summary in 5 lines to the bar?

Executive summary:

Music, as we understand the word, is an evolved form of communication. It is
still evolving, and has evolved from something somewhat different. One
particular example of change is the movement from absolute pitch having meaning,
to a music where the relative pitch is more meaningful. Equal temperament tuning
is an obvious example of this. How is it that music was once so different, and
how does it's character today, provide a mirror of our lives, in a way which can
illuminate and inspire us as evolution moves forward. What role does music play
in human consciousness.

The author was a source of inspiration to the American minimalist movement -
Terry Riley, La Monte Young, Philip glass, and many others whose names are less
known but who laid the foundations of a simplification of musical language (even
if its repetition sometimes evolved in what initially appear to be complex
forms, like the polyrhythms favoured by Philip Glass).

So, the thinking in this book, represents a key grounding for what went on to
become minimalism, ambient and trance music, and helps us to understand more
clearly, what is an obvious intuitive link between modern musical forms and
their possible ancient ancestors, and serves as a source of inspiration, as it
underlies the psychoactive role that music plays, as a culture transforms itself
and becomes psychically fit to employ its technological abilities in a balanced
and healthy way.

In other words, important for space travel.

Tony (HB)