Keys are so uncool

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 4 23:34:49 CEST 2009

Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> Why is everyone now a days obsessed with NOT playing keys?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVwPH2EYoOM&feature=related

I think the 2D matrix of buttons and LEDs is the first physical interface that
truly reflects the compositional process. Plenty have likened composition to
painting. Most modern music could be said to follow the design pattern
established by Eric Satie, in which the role of the narrative is replaced by
various parts each reflecting the whole, and the movement between them is more a
reflection of changes in the physical or psychic state of the listener/dancer
than a story in the mind with a beginning and end. I think this takes music back
to its primordial state, and into the future, simultaneously. This interface is
a physical manifestation of that movement.

Tony (HB)