Liquid mix or UAD?

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 18 22:24:50 CET 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 3:40 PM, punkdISCO wrote:

> Hi Andy - I have both the LM and UAD1.  Im a probably going to
> upgrade to
> UAD2 come the December discounts that UA always put out. The FATSO
> only
> works on UAD2 and I plan on getting this..
>
>> Does the UAD stuff really sound a whole lot better?
>
> Hell no!!  Both are excellent. You will not find any credible comments
> stating either are 'better'.  I have read the occasional comment
> saying that
> the UAD stuff is slightly more exaggerated/hyped verses the LM which
> is more
> accurate, but I have not noticed this
>
>> For the UAD my only option would be the solo/laptop card btw.
>
> I think this makes UAD a bit more expensive for you as I thing the
> Laptop
> hardware is a tad more expensive.
>
>> Also do both of these guys work in live?
>
> Yeah, baby!  Live and fantastic!
>
> BTW, I use my UAD for non-processing (currently reverb and Dimension D
> chorus) and this is how I get away with just a UAD1 card.  I you
> want a
> reasonable track count for processing, the UAD option will be FLIPPIN
> expensive compared to LM. You regularly see LMs for £250 used, this
> is a
> crazy price for 32 channels of quality comp/EQ using 40ish classic
> compressor models and 20 EQ.  The downside of the LM is that it is
> comp/EQ
> only and I prefer using GUIs that look like the original, something
> that the
> UAD has.

It really seems like LM is a great value in terms of a processing
workhorse. So since the LM is comp/EQ only you rely on the UAD to fill
the gaps? I do also love the GUI's on the UAD stuff, it seems this is
a case where it is useful and not just a gimmick like can sometime
happen with soft synths. Do you run into any problems running them at
the same time?

It seems like the LM would actually be something that I would want, as
it has a lot of bang for the buck - with the benefit of the physical
interface and DSP doesn't hurt,  and especially since you say it
sounds excellent. Then I can fill in the gaps with some of Matt's
recommendations.