listening to, drinking, and misc...

Matt Picone EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 15 06:34:14 CEST 2009

 >> What distinguishes music from noise?

There is only one answer: personal experience.

We bring to the act of listening a set of external conditions and
components. Perception is nothing if not untransparent.

For example, I've at times experienced elaborately beautiful music
inside of sound I might at other times consider to be noise. Such
experiences need not be purely idiosyncratic; I remember when my DAW
crashed at the first m at stock it made some noise which moved several of
us: first to attend, then to listen, then to boogie. Surely music-- even
if it's silent--is the only thing one can dance to.

I don't believe the number of participants need be greater than one for
these phenomena to occur; nor do I believe that musical quality can be
objectively measured by measuring the number or percentage of
individuals which can be counted on to share its experience as music.
Like music or noise itself, the shared experience will also have
fundamental and overtone components across a spectrum of individuals, so
it isn't even possible to quantify what people report they experience--
the boundary is nonexistent except instantaneously.

Perception makes music.

-m@