listening to, drinking, and misc...

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 15 05:14:52 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM, James R. Coplin <james at ticalun.net> wrote:

> Last week a discussion cropped up on Analogue Heaven which the Admins
> shutdown just as it was starting to become interesting.  I’ll bring it up
> here as there is a better and more tolerant audience.  What distinguishes
> music from noise?  Where is the line and what does that line mean?

I only lurk on AH, and post very rarely...so now is my chance to chime
in on this.

I dont think its a like, but a circle.  No..two circles.  anything
inside the circle is music, anything outside the circle is noise.  One
circle is the listeners and the other is the other is the composers.
where the two circles overlap is where the music is.

As to what makes something music and something else noise, I really
think its the listener.  If I make a racket, and no one thinks its
music but me...it isnt.  but if I can convince even one soul that
banging on a toaster oven while playing a kazoo is music, then it is.

Tony

Tony