lurking and working

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 12 11:39:51 CEST 2009

Hi gang,

I have been a bit silent lately, lurking and mainly been busy doing a
lot of different projects -- let me tell you a bit about them:

First off was a theater production with a group of people who have all
gone through some sort of a psychosis. Two professional directors have
worked with them (they work with them since 13 years) and produced a
great and intense play. I made some noises, loops and created a long
intro music for the opening scene of that play.
It opened on the 29th and was well received, I actually got fan-mail
for the music, too...;)

Then came a project called Klangsport ("soundsports") where we worked
with 20 or so people in a huge sports hall (amazing reverb), we
arranged them and choreographed everything so that rhythms and music
came from it. I set up Microphones (4x Røde NT5, 3x wireless
Sennheisers ), piezos (Conrad, DIY), speakers (4x Mackie C300) and a
mobile speaker (behringer was the only thing we could find and
afford), but at least 70% of the piece was acoustic. A flutist and a
bassplayer played all five shows as well as a guest performer, someone
else every night: an accordeon player, a viola player (from the Bochum
symphony orchestra, excellent!), a dancer, a trombone player and a
tuba player.
This was also well received, two out of five shows sold out (100
seats), the others were about 50% full.

Currently I am working on a one-person play, called "Die
Eröffnung" (The Opening, unrelated to the Cassavetes film) where the
music plays a major role in the mood of the play. The actor talks
about what it is like to be an actor -- he struggles with his life,
even though he is a successful actor, everything else falls apart --
so the music has a certain tension between melancholic and upbeat..
We are opening on the 20th.

In October I will be part of a dance production (opening October
10th). Sunday we had an audition for dancers (I wanted to call it a
casting, but the dancers kept calling it audition -- I was under the
impression that "audire" was the latin word for listening, but
anyway...) which was incredible. We are looking for 3 dancers and had
12 people who were all excellent at the first audition -- it was just
amazing to watch them dance and we wanted to work with all of them...;)

At the end of May we start to work on yet another production about the
German poet/writer Rolf Dieter Brinkmann. There is an amazing film
about him. Basically in the early 70s he decided that writing wasn't
his way of describing the world anymore and he started recording
everything with a tape recorder (kindly provided to him by WDR Radio,
who still have rights to most of the recordings). Brinkmann was run
over by a car in London in 1975, presumably before they had the
writing on the streets for tourists to "Look Right!"). The incredible
part is how Harald Bergmann took these tapes as a soundtrack for a
film -- and basically did a visual reenactment of those tapes with
three actors in 2005/6 ("Brinkmanns Zorn").
We are still working on clearing all the rights and don't know
*exactly* how we will approach this, but Brinkmann is something like a
German beat.-poet, Hunter S Thompson or William Burroughs, maybe...;)

oh, and then I made some presets for Waldorf's upcoming Largo. Amazing
synth! you must check it out!

just to let you know that I am still there and very much involved in
music -- not so much in bars, right now...;-)

Kai