Ardour

András Murányi EMAIL_HIDDEN
Fri May 1 19:58:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Tom Adam <tom.adam at thebigear.be> wrote:

> So, anyone on a linux system that uses ardour that's willing to get me
> started with it?
> Maybe best off list?
>
> I'm an overall computer n00b, but I got Fedora 9 installed, got my
> Delta1010
> working and I was able to record some audio with it.
>
> My main problem now is, let's call it inconsistent latency. When I record a
> few tracks at the time, they are perfectly synced. But when I'm recording
> additional tracks, they are shifted a bit. (a few 100 samples)
> I think sync points are the answer, but I haven't tried that.
> Also this region stuff is very confusing to me...

Hi All, I am Andras from Hungary and new/old to the list.
I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) like Jay and I can also say it looks better these
days than Fedora.
Your latency problem could be related to energy saver CPU clocking. Issue
'dmesg' at the terminal and you might see the following messages (I do...):

[   56.662722] Marking TSC unstable due to cpufreq changes
[   56.775413] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -135320790 ns)

Anywaymake sure you are using the realtime (RT) kernel.
As long as you are on Fedora there is the marvellous ccrma repository:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
"Planet CCRMA at Home is a collection of rpm packages to transform it into
an audio workstation with a low-latency kernel, current audio drivers and a
nice set of music, midi and audio applications."

All the Best,

--
Muranyi Andras