My New iMac...

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 23 18:41:30 CET 2009

Peter Korsten wrote:
> Bill Fox schreef:
>
>> I downloaded and installed it.  It's not vi-style so I'm forever
>> removing my right hand from the keyboard to mouse around.  The app is
>> *very* nice and I suppose the find and replace is OK (I haven't tried it
>> yet), but I just get slowed down every time my hand shuttles back and
>> forth between kb and mouse.  What can I say?  I'm an old UNIX guy from
>> 1979 on.  On the other hand, having Terminal to grep for stuff is going
>> to be very handy.
>
> When I was still using X-Windows, I would do 'vim -g' for a graphical
> interface. Heck, even from a terminal window, vim has mouse support.
>
> Obviously, it's still vim, with all the quirks between edit mode and
> insert mode.

For sheer speed, I've never found anything faster than vi (vim). I have a bunch
of customizations in a .vimrc file - I find the default end-of-line stuff and
some other things very strange - and this follows me around from computer to
computer. It can do anything. You can completely reprogram the thing to work in
whatever way you think makes sense. And it's fast in terms of redraw (0mS), and,
as long as your hands don't need to leave the keyboard, it'll always be faster
than any gui editor.

Hmmm. I sound religious, don't I ;)

Tony (HB)