Currently listening to...

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 18 20:06:02 CET 2009

Bach's second book of 48 Preludes and Fugues played by the master - Glenn Gould.

I'm starting to read about the guy. Get this, from a piece he wrote on Petula
Clark. Had me falling about all over the place.

"Tonally, the Beatles have as little regard for the niceties of voice leading as
Erik Satie for the anguished cross-relation of the German postromantics - Theirs
is a happy, cocky, belligerently resourceless brand of harmonic primitivism.
Their career has been one long send-up of the equation: sophistication =
chromatic extension. The willful, dominant prolongations and false tonic
releases to which they subject us, "Michelle" notwithstanding, in the name of
foreground elaboration, are merely symptomatic of a cavalier disinclination to
observe the psychological properties of tonal background."

Apparently he wrote similarly scathing comments on his own work, posing as a
critic under a psuedonym, and had people complain about his unfair dismissal of
his own music...

What a guy!

Tony (HB)