pedals/fx suggestions

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 12 19:58:13 CET 2009

Sounds rather gooooooooooooooood !
Is the drive really post filter or integrated in the filter itself. Since
THB pointed to me distortion sounds way better in the feedback loop and that
I could proceed to some experiments, I'm all for it :)

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of Tony Scharf
Sent: jeudi 12 mars 2009 18:41
To: Music-bar
Subject: Re: pedals/fx suggestions

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM, M-.-n <nostromo at arkaos.net> wrote:

> Nice review of the blofeld. Are the sample only traditional yawney
> type or can it also use single waveforms ? *If* they allow to get
> sample in, I'm going to be soooooooo horny about it... Unless it's sysex
based.

The blofeld oscillators are actually pretty comprehensive.  Its got the
standard Saw/Pulse/Triangle waves with audio rate FM and pulse width
modulation available on each (you can set another oscillator as a modulation
source, or even itself!).  In addition, you have the ALT1 and ALT2
wavetables from the old Micro Q, the Resonant 1 and Resonant
2 from, i think , The Q Pheonix, then you have all the wave tables from the
Microwave II.  You use Pulse Width Modulation in this case to sweep the
table.  on top of that, you have the basic sampled wave forms (which are the
vanilla kinds of sounds you would expect - pianos, strings, guitars,
zither..etc).  The first two oscillators can select any one of these options
independently (meaning, for the first time, you can have a different wave
table for OSC1 and OSC2...in the past, you only had one that was shared).
Oscillator 3 can only do the basic Saw/pulse/triangle waves (though it can
still to audio rate FM and PWM).

Next you have two filters in series or parallel, and you can 'pan' the
output of any of the oscillators, noise source or ring mod between
them however you want.    You have a good selection of filter types:
LP, HP, BP (all available in 24 or 12 db versions) Comb + and Comb - (I
*LOVE* this filter) and a PPG emulation filter.  I never had a PPG, so I
cant tell you if its accurate or not.  After each filter you have a drive
circuit which can do a number of clipping, distortion or wave shaping FX.
My one gripe is that these cant be switched pre-filter.

Package all that with 3 LFO's, 4 loopable envelopes, and Waldorf's extremely
powerful 16 slot mod matrix, and its really easy to get 'alien world' type
sounds.  waldorf takes pride in their instruments being digital and are not
so concerned with being good analog emulators, so they include things like
'brilliance' control on the oscillators, that lets you loosen the effects of
the anti aliasing filters (aliasing = good).

All in all, I am very happy with it.  I have been highly critical of waldorf
in the past, but this time I think they got it right.

Tony