Harry's game: Clannad vs. Celtic Woman

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 9 18:16:45 CET 2009

For those who remember the early eighties, and who were living in Europe
at the time, you may remember the ITV mini-series Harry's Game, or more
probably the opening tune performed by Clannad. It's the only Irish
language song to go into the British charts.

Now recently I've discovered Celtic Woman, which is a bunch of Irish
women, classically trained vocalists probably, who perform wearing
evening gowns and with an orchestra. Look them up on YouTube, you'll get
gazillions of hits.

They sang Clannad's hit song, and I went to compare the two.

This is Clannad, live in 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5orfCHMmM8

This is Celtic Woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLJYq9KLnZI

They're very different performances. Whereas the female vocalist of
Clannad has made some effort to dress up, the rest is dressed in jeans
and shirts. One of them plays a Roland synthesiser where you can
actually hear the samples loop.

Celtic Woman, on the other hand, have the whole glitzy ambience, full
orchestra, the works, and deliver a flawless performance.

Yet, I much prefer Clannad's version. It's much more intimate, and more
real: the whole thing with dressing up seems out of place, and after
you've seen some more of Celtic Woman's performances, you realise that
they're all flawless. And then you start to wonder: what's the point?

Nevertheless, two great performances, each in their own right.

- Peter