RPM'09 Album - "Headmelt" by LX Nen

Romain Gros EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 3 14:40:32 CET 2009

Andy,

First of all  congrat it s really a good work ,  i must admit I love
it and I try to learn from it ,( specially when I hear the quality of
it !!!!! )

In general :
I would like to know if you used logic or ableton (maybe both)?
What do you use to make your beats?+  ( when you mix your  drum-kit
in general do you mix the different instruments apart  i mean
( snare ,bas drum,cymbals etc apart ?) I hope this question make sense.

my questions/ critics:

1  :I don t like so much the beginning ( sound beat) but i would like
to  know which synth you used ( one with pan delay  ) , when the big
beat comes in the 3/4 of the song it s really nice ...

2: make me think of Matrix music .( melancholic sphere)

3  :  really relax with a heavy beat  (it s perfect for me to go to
work ; ) , I love the bass you used ( make me think a bit of david
bowie music "outside " period), Do you used the chaossilator at the
end and change the pitch in ableton or logic? ( btw this song  make me
think of the music for the novation SL  video promo )

4 : I like the experimentation  of the sounds ( did you sample
yourself the sound banks for the experiment part ?)
then when it goes to the relax part around 3 min ( it s a genius
evolution !! I love it !).

  Make me think of 'Dead Can Dance' I dont know why , I think it s the
sounds you used ...
      piano with clavecin /harpsichord with reverb ... Man it sounds
so good ..again we go to another dimension around 5  min
( harmonical experimental stuff ) to come back to the relax
melancholic atmosphere of the beginning  and finish with old computer
games sounds .
Damn it sounds really good Andy !

5  :  this song is quite Hip hop/techno for me ... the techno is quite
energetic :),
Did you use a real guitar  or is it samples ?...
I really like the end of this song from 3.50. its genial ... waou ...

6 : Icemelt should be the reason why Music bar should make a "MUSIC
BAR RADIO" ;)

7: as the others , the contrast of this song is really cool between
experimental and really relax ambiant stuff ... nice ...

8 :  it seems  tribal at the beginning :) and goes to a kind of acid
electronic techno without BOOM BOOM BOOM but with a tribal beat ...
cool !  this song should be perfect in a coffeshop in Amsterdam ;)
just before the end of the song, it seems chaotic(4.20 till 4.42)it
gives me the idea you get shortcut in your cables settings lol  but it
doesn t disturb me . it s really well done

  9 : I like the fat drum sounds and the keys in the background...
( compare to the other song  we can hear that you start to get a bit
stuck with harmony-structure-creation ... )

10 : Weird( but interesting) intro to arrive/drive/come  back to the
'Matrix' influences around 1m15 ( i think it s the drums with the bass
+ the voices keys in the background who give me this feeling ) ! :D
btw  you used the same basic accords as me in a old song i did .
I love the 2nd solo synth ...  this style  make me think of Joost way
of composing but without the drums ...

Very well done Andy , I love to listen to your RPM 2009 ,nothing was
rush for me to listen , everything went really easy ... cause it s
good stuff !

  Thank you to share your spirit with us !:)
Ps: "matrix" =>I meant : Matrix music film .

Nb:Sorry for english spelling mistakes.

        Romain