Just ordered...

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 11 18:35:55 CEST 2009

Hi Peter and Andy

Peter Korsten wrote:
>> Rent-a-render farm, especially an automated version would indeed be
>> cool but I think there are way to many variables right now to make it
>> worth it as a buisness model.

I was under the assumption that quite a few of these actually exist, and
are used frequently. It's just not economical for a small company like
you to run a full render farm, yet you'll run into project where you
just need them to make the deadline. It's not just the cost of the
hardware that bogs you down, but also licensing as some of the renderers
are charged per node.

I can understand your concerns about the NDA, especially if you do
product visualisation before a company announces it. But then, keep in
mind that IP is a big issue for everybody in the animation and
visualisation business, so I can't imagine the render farm company
risking its reputation by leaking data and breaking their NDA.

> It's early days, but I definitely see the computer/computing business go
> back to a client/server model, but with the internet thrown in. A move
> away from generic PCs that are customised for a specific task, to
> smaller, dedicated devices that do just a few things, but do those very
> well. And store all your data on the 'net.

I'm sceptical - we've heard the story before too many times under
different names, yet it always turned out that bandwidth was more scarce
than local processing power or storage capacity. However, it is clear
that some form of centralised document storage will be used for
increasingly more services (it's already standard for e-mail).

> home PCs. I don't see very dramatic changes there, except for maybe thin
> clients and applications like Word that run on a server.

I think they'll rather push things like their sharepoint servers and
other forms of server-based document hosting and collaboration. After
all, even my mobile phone these days has enough power to run something
like word...

Martin