An old friend made a movie ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 11 15:27:24 CEST 2009

Jay Vaughan schreef:

> .. about the Beijing Punk scene.  Maybe you'll like it:
>
> http://www.beijingpunk.com/

China is a strange and fascinating country; one of opposites, really.
One the one hand, they have the most futuristic transport system in the
world (the Shanghai maglev), but also large swats where people live in
abject poverty. It's not closed as the eastern European countries were,
but it's not exactly open either. You can criticise local government and
corruption, but to criticise the state is risky business.

So when I see these punk rockers, taken out of context from the mid 70's
west and plunked into late 00's China, I wonder what the point is. Not
that there wouldn't be a point to it, mind, but what exactly is it? Not
likely that they'd be singing 'Anarchy for China'.

- Peter