What do I need?

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 7 10:31:07 CEST 2009

Gorman, Declan skrev:

> Hey guys,
>
>   I am making some additions to my home studio and would appreciate
> some advice on recording.  I have only ever had the need to record one
> thing at a time in Ableton Live but now I am looking for the ability
> to record more.  At the moment I have my mixing desk routed back into
> my soundcards only input but this limits me to recording one input at
> a time and it also records from the sound card so anything else
> playing gets recorded.  I plan on having at least 4 other units
> plugged into the mixer so I would like to be able to record them all
> separately and at the same time if necessary.
>

>   So what do I need?  Do I need a new sound card with more inputs?  Do
> I need a new mixer with separate outputs?  How do you guys do it?

I just have my Mackie Onyx 400F with 8 inputs to which I have my
external stuff connected to (Virus TI, Microwave XT, Evolver, Mic,
guitar) and then directly to my monitors.

I wouldn't get this one today though. I'd look into one of Presonus
firewire units, http://www.presonus.com
Either the Firestudio with 8x8 analog I/O + ADAT expandibility or the
Firetube with 16x6 analog I/O and no expandibility.

/Micke