It could always be worse

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 30 21:45:38 CET 2009

So, this evening I'm at home alone, because our son needed a small
operation (for a hydrocele, just Google it), and because he got sick a
lot and lost fluids, he needs to stay overnight. And mummy is staying
with him.

Whereas St. Luke's hospital, where he stayed for about a week when he
got food poisoning a few years ago, was in dire need of - well,
everything really, the brand new Mater Dei hospital is top-notch, with
TV/radio/internet terminals at each bed, spacey rooms with comfortable
furniture. They even have a special area with soft toys to prepare
children for the anaesthetic.

Even though a lot of the millions over millions that this cost went to
the ministers' friends and family, it has been well spent. It just
reminds me of Schiphol, Amsterdam Airport, though, because you walk a
*lot*. The corridors are seemingly endless.

And when Jean-Luc gets older, and some girl wants to see his scar, he's
practically on third base. Even though he's my little boy, I'm not too
worried, and this e-mail isn't really about him.

Despite all its niceties, Mater Dei hospital has a bit of an f***-up in
the sense that there's no place for family members to wait for their
loved ones to recover from surgery. So you're in a somewhat surreal
area, where the lifts and stairs come out, with not even a single chair
to sit on.

As Yana went in to be with our son and I had to wait even longer,
another patient came out. He was younger than I am, in his thirties at
most. And the blanket made a sharp dip just underneath his groin: his
body ended there. He had both legs amputated, from what I understand as
a result of a road traffic accident.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting rid of the image, this young man
lying on that bed, and the look on his face that was like resignation,
but not quite the same.

There's not much more that I can say about this, except urge everybody
to drive carefully, and to check those crash tests before buying a car.

- Peter