new tv...?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 13 19:27:05 CET 2009

Gert van Santen schreef:

> Kristin and I are thinking of perhaps buying one of those new big
> flatscreen televisions.
>
> Any recommendations? Is 100 Hz important?

A friend of mine recently bought a plasma TV to hook up to his
Playstation 3. According to him, the plasma screen has nicer colours
than an LCD screen. That's his opinion; I can't confirm or deny that and
you'd have to check for yourself.

(Incidentally, he's also called Gert. He's six feet tall, but we call
him 'small Gert'; three guesses why).

So, what's important:
* 1920x1080 resolution. Anything less (or more?) and full HD will look
funny. Don't go for 'HD ready' unless you're going to buy a really small
screen, it has to be 'full HD'.
* A couple (I'd say, at least three) of HDMI connectors. Also, check
what equipment you're using at the moment with your TV, like a DVD
player, and see if you can connect it to the prospective TV.
* Check that you can easily mount it using a wall mount. Our old-ish
Philips 23" can't be, and I had to improvise.

Philips has Ambilight, which I really like, but you'd have to see for
yourselves. It lights up the wall behind the TV with colours based on
what you see on the screen. No idea how much electricity this consumes.

- Peter