What makes you puke?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 10 10:53:48 CET 2009

punkdISCO schreef:

> When I was watching it, I was thinking - ill post this to the music bar and
> make the smart arse comment "yeah, I would have then jumped off again".  And
> then he then did exactly that...
>
> And yep, it did make me feel super anxious..

Oh, I thought you meant the faux Paris surroundings of Las Vegas that
made you sick. :)

Personally, I don't have a fear of heights. Back in the late 90's, when
digital cameras were a novelty and they still worked with 3.5" floppy
drives, I borrowed one of these from work to make photos from the
windows of my flat.

Since I lived in the vicinity of Schiphol airport (as in, I could read
the registration numbers of the aircraft that went past my flat), I
decided to sit on the window sill and lean out, to get a better angle.

Then something dawned on me, and I looked down - 13 floors. Um, right.
And whilst I still wasn't afraid, I thought it might be a better idea to
move a bit more inside.

Which is why I wouldn't jump either up or down the Arc de Triomphe,
either the real thing (which is considerably bigger) or the Mickey Mouse
version in Vegas, because of this thing called 'survival instinct'.

The only real phobia I have is for explosions, more generally bangs
(including popping balloons). So living in the most fireworks-obsessed
nation on the planet, save for perhaps China, is sometimes an issue.

- Peter