What's the catch ?

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Feb 25 20:10:17 CET 2009

Hi Gert

Gert van Santen wrote:
>> - which I enjoy, but which gives different priorities on equipment).
>
> Since we're talking gear here. I'm wondering what people use as a
> compressor/limiter for live recording (guitar, bass, vocals,
> drums) with a laptop/computer?

I don't. My recordings were always straight into the interface. While I
tend to leave the limiter of these on just in case, I make sure that I
stay well below the 0dB limit. Noise from the converters and their
dynamic range is simply a non-issue these days, even for classical
recordings that are very dynamic - so I just stay within a generous
safety margin (typically -12dB or more) and do all the compression and
EQing in post-production. I really don't see the point of using a
compressor while recording, unless it's part of a signal chain (e.g.
analogue voice channel) resulting  in a desirable coloration of the
sound that's hard to achieve afterwards.

Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch
http://www.myspace.com/navisto