Energy XT

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Feb 25 03:11:22 CET 2009

Tony Scharf wrote:
> Anyone here using it?  I got an earful on how completely awesome it is
> the other day at the gig, and I was curious what others experience
> with it was.
> I tried the demo of it back when it was just 1.0 (or maybe earlier)
> and it was nice, but obviously incomplete.
> Any avid users around here?

Hi Tony,

I've been using energtXT for a few years.  I was tearing my hair out
trying to get Live 4 Lite to be my host but it was too restrictive to
load any more than one VST.  Bleah.  This was at Different Skies.
http://differentskies.com    One of the other attendees saw my
frustration and turned me on to energyXT.  This was 2.5 years ago.  I
now have Sonar, Live 7, and Pro Tools 8 on my laptop and I *STILL* use
energyXT as my VST hosting program.  I think that eXT uses a lot less
processing power than the other programs so if I don't need their other
capabilities, then eXT is the most efficient, flexible, and straight
forward to use, imo.  Everything is visually laid out in front of your
eyes like a patched up modular synth where a module could be any VST
plugin from softsynth to effect.

I'm still using what is now an obsolete version of energyXT because it
does what I need.  I gleefully plop softsynths onto the screen and
connect them to mixers directly or through VST effects.  I do all sorts
of damage quite happily.*  My Prog Rock trio Pinnacle
http://myspace.com/pinnalcegroup has a much improved sound since I
started using eXT and my arsenal of softsynths and plugin effects.  I
have a set of softsynths that I purchased and a slew of softsynths and
effects that were free downloads.  Hooray for KVR Audio!
http://kvraudio.com

* One of my favorite things to do is to run three instances of M-Tron
into a mixer and pan them left, center, and right.  The left M-Tron is
pitched a little flat and the right M-Tron a little sharp.  All three
are set up with the same sound.  The mixer then feeds a phaser or
flanger.  This is a GLORIOUS sound.  It's a keyboard split for the right
hand.  The left hand has its own split controlling another bunch of
synths.  And this is just the beginning!  You can get much more complex
than what I've just described.

Cheers,

Bill