What's the catch ?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 24 23:44:28 CET 2009

> Word is probably getting around that the FS1R is even less editable
> than a DX7
> (because there was as much effort invested in its UI, and because it
> offers a
> lot more to edit), and that the formant synthesis feature is a joke:
> it could
> be used as a very nice sounding vocoder, but it cannot be done in
> realtime,
> there's only enough memory for a few seconds, and the only programs to
> compute the formant sequences are an unsupported MacOS9 app. (I'm
> not sure it
> was even ever officially released) from Yamaha and an homemade
> Windows app.

there was a linux fseq editor project, and also a Max/MSP patch too,
that i've seen.  its not *that* bleak, just 'abandoned'.

the macos9 app actually did work, and is what was used to put the
factory fseqs together in the first place.  it was just quirky.  if
you can run macos9 in a VM, it should be noted that the fseq upload
was being done over -midi- .. so, basilisk.

one thing that i found great about the fs1r-editor on macos9 was that
you could immediately erase the factory seqs with something much,
much, much more highly appropriate.  my fs1r has some custom fseqs,
tee hee ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan