using plugins (compressor) DURING recording in Logic

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 24 14:47:04 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at chello.nl> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> 1. is it possible to insert a compressor in an audio track in
> Logic, and record your instrument or voice INCLUDING the effect
> of the compressor?

I dont know the specifics of logic, but I know this has to be
possible.  Every DAW I have used has a feature for this.

> 2. Also: is it true that when using a compressor or limiter this
> way, it won't protect you from clipping, since the
> compression/limiting is happening after the AD-conversion?

This is true.  If you clip the AD you have hit the max before the
signal even reaches the DAW.  Its for this reason I usually record
vocals through a hardware compressor/vocal channel.

Why are you changing your method if the old method works?

Tony