Aaaargh!

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 23 22:13:40 CET 2009

The Dong skrev:
> Could be your malicious program 'called home' and laid your IP open to
> particular attacks, which were still vulnerable. Just a wild guess. More
> likely there were remnants of the infection somewhere.
>
> I've installed XP so many times, but luckily this install has been rock
> solid for such a long time (no SP3, Furryfox and Thunderpants and a lot
> stripped out; services to near minimum)
>
> I've installed XP so many times that I've also witnessed the early days
> of IE on it, where machines could be infected with very nasty crap
> within minutes of installing the new OS and surfing with IE...
>
> I am dreading the day where the newer 64bit OS's have so much to offer
> to resist, because I will have to upgrade all audio hardware (which I
> must remember to use more often)

Actually it was a totally fresh install on a spanking new harddrive, so
there can't have been any remnants? Furry and TB here too, only use IE
to get newest FF on reinstalls and to do remote logins to work. I
remember doing updates to my FF plugins just before the virus appeared
and one of the symptoms were that google searches in FF was redirected
to porn/poker/pill sites. The 'redirect' thing was due to an infected
"Mozilla Default Plugin".

I installed those addons after the reinstall as well so one of them
might be the cause. The addons I had were PDF Downloader and TinyURL
Creator.

/Micke