Aaaargh!

komatos EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 22 20:23:36 CET 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gert van Santen" <g.vansanten at chello.nl>
To: "Music-bar" <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:55:49 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Aaaargh!

Mikael Hansson schreef:
> Been doing computermaintenence since thursday. Got a virus so I tried to
> remove it and then update windows xp to sp3. When I was finished the
> computer wouldn't start and a restore didn't work, couldn't even get
> into safe mode.
>
> Reinstall, updating all xp files, even got sp3 installed and all worked
> fine. After another day half of the apps were installed then my
> virusprog started to warn again :-(
> Spent a day killing of the processes and removing infected files as my
> virus prog, avast nor kaspersky could find the source just stop the
> symptoms.
>
> Had to get a program called "Security Task Manager" and quarantine the
> running processes and services (if I removed them they just relaunched)
> and then search the registry for instances regarding the virus, found
> about 30-40 with randomized names for the dll's that were loaded. Well
> at least now it was gone...but now the computer won't start...and I'll
> have to start over again :-|
>
> I guess some of my applications must have the virus but scanning with
> several programs finds nothing...
>
> If this continues I'll have a hard time finishing a track :-(

That really sucks... :-(

--
G e r t   v a n   S a n t e n

And that is why I use a Mac (my PowerPC MacMini with Leopard & Tiger) as my primary computer and my custom homebuilt AthlonXP2400+ from 2001-2002 with WindowsXP Home with SP3 as my secondary computer.  Too many days, nights, and weekends wasted troubleshooting and fixing other customers virii and spyware infected PCs to ever bother relying on Windows as a mission critical system.

All just my $.25 from personal experience.

--komatos/wasted