Please crit our track!

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 22 14:01:04 CET 2009

Hi Kai!

> we just finished (did we?) a new track "Angel of Berlin" and put it up
> on our site:
>
> http://deindaybreak.com
>
> Please let me know what you think of it and give us some criticism...
> more is on its way...

I'm fighting with the timing.
While I really like ideas like the first break (0:29) and several
details in Antonia's singing (rhythm and melody-wise)
(e.g. "You .. are an exception ... "  - 0:43) IMHO those things need a
bit more support from the rhythm base.

First I listened to the track on my grot boxes (Auratones - 'natural'
missing low and high end) and I lost the beat several times in the
first minute.
But this didn't change very much when switching to the Mackies.

Andy_R speakes about a volume imbalance - yes - but I think the bass
drum also needs more kick in the mid range to compete with the vocs -
at least before the first chorus.
On the contrary I think putting in the bridge at 2:18 a second time
would be overdoing it - the effect of surprise would get lost.

I'd put more difference in between the different types of voice
treatments - which also seems to overload the mid-range a bit.
I do like the ongoing changes in the arrangement like the changed
chorus at 2:04.

As a sound reference I listened to "Never gonna be enough" ... of
course it's a different song but listening to both of them gives me
the impression
of a tired sound engineer who worked on "Angel ..." ;-)

Admittedly I'm not sure what elements are typical for your style and
this genre (like I wouldn't look for brilliant highs in a Drum'n'Bass
track) so it might be just me
being like a cow talking about how to fly  ;-)

BTW, did you use the same source for MySpass?
Not only that it's louder (which does the player I suspect) it sounds
differently.
But that also could be the encoding ... which I don't like at all (it
messes up all of our tracks for instance).

    HTH, Michael.