Be Warned...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 22 11:31:27 CET 2009

Don't t(h)read on my tentacles, Earthling! schreef:

> Le 18 févr. 09 à 12:21, Gorman, Declan a écrit :
>
>> Aparently Facebook have done a u-turn on this issue after a massive
>> user
>> outcry.
>
> Now it doesn't change much as the previous legal set wasn't good anyway.

I've been thinking about this, and I've come to the conclusion that
Legalese is a language that is unique, in the sense that it has an
asymmetrical translation process. This is the perfect example.

Facebook: "We don't want you to sue us over your data, whatever we may
or may not do with it."

Translate that into Legalese, and you get that infamous paragraph that
started this whole discussion.

However, when translated back into English, it becomes this: "We are
going to sell all your data to the highest bidder, and we don't care.
And we know about your penile erection problem, too."

The underlying problem, obviously, is that there is insufficient privacy
legislation regarding privacy (at least in the US, or so it seems). And
another problem is that Facebook's legal section has no idea of what a
'customer' is.

- Peter