ISP Shenanigans

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Feb 8 10:53:47 CET 2009

The UK ISP situation is ridiculous.
My sync rate has been higher than 6Mb since 2006.
For years I have been bandwidth limited to 2Mb down, 256 up, yet have
been paying for unlimited up to 8Mb internet access at £5 over the
current offer price.

After 7 months of complaining once per month to my ISP, I now almost
have what I have been paying for; 4-5Mb+ and 700kb+ up for cheaper, with
no change of ISP. Flippin' 'eck ;)

The reason I say 'The UK ISP situation' is because all my neighbours
connect/actual speeds used to be faster than my old rates, but are now
much slower. My friends link yesterday was slower than 1Mb with awful
and obvious throttling, yet his sync rates were way up.

And this is not contention/congestion issues.

The only conclusion I can possibly come up with is that this is a
company policy across much of the (big corp) board; to throttle and
limit customers until they complain with proof of a problem on their end
X times and can no longer be fobbed of with 'it's a problem with BT',
even then, take so long about implementing the 'fix' that they will
probably have left anyway, leaving the company with predominantly
profitable bandwidth shy and tech. light customers.

Something like that anyhoos.
Shenanigans galore.

/Happier for the moment, if I wasn't so peeved ;)