Qustion to the minds of the bar

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 2 02:04:37 CET 2009

Ok, so I am having a bit of a disagreement with someone on a message
board.  I posted that I thought Maschine had a certain sound to the
way the drums were mixed together that I wasnt quite used to yet, and
I got into the discussion that using the same drum samples in the same
pattern in different programs sounded different to me.   The only
processing involved is audio mixing - no EQ or FX applied, just the
raw adding of the signals sounded different.

Now, this guy, who walks around acting like he is king of the nut
house insists that there is only one way to add audio signals
together, and he slopped to gether a bunch of screen shots showing
white noise cancelling out when being summed against itself inverted
on each of 4 programs.  I think the guy is full of it, simply because
its obvious that his 'results' shots are all the exact same screen
shot just with a different caption underneath.  That, and I cant
believe a guy who also claims to be an 'in demand producer' would have
the time to take out of his busy schedule just to derail a thread
about the Yamaha RS7000.

Anyway, my question is  basically, am I full of it or is he?  Is the
different sound I am hearing a product of my imagination, or are there
possibly different ways the different audio programs (FL Studio,
Maschine, Live, and Battery were discussed) that could result in each
having its own 'sound' with only the summing engines coming in to
play?  In my mind, it seems that audio mixing is a bit more complex
than just 1+1=2 math, but then again maybe it is?  This guy thinks so,
and posted as much.

Any help?

Tony