How dull

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 31 10:57:27 CEST 2009

Some better solutions:
Without using a calculator::

Getting rid of 90% or all carpets in the home, replacing with real wood,
linoleum, tiles or laminate saves an awful lot more energy, simply
because you can clean them without using a hoover. A quick sweep and
clean with a damp cloth on a brush once in a while or whatever. It's
nonsense that any of these are less insulating than a carpet, if done
properly, or overdone. In our case, simple DIY subfloors with an
insulating layer are much more insulating than carpets, for noise
transmission as well as heat.

Adopting different clothing (or accepting a little scruff) and a simpler
hairstyle saves more! No buying clothes that need ironing, no using
crimpers, curlers, straighteners or hair dryer! Smelly gel optional.

Accepting that humans tend to smell a bit at the best of times and
washing (bath/shower) half as often will save the universe!! Unless you
already wash infrequently and smell.

Drinking several less cups of tea and coffee (cocoa too) a day or
weaning off altogether would completely blow away the lighting savings.

Realising that storage heaters are crap and always were helps too (but
we can't afford to fix that just now)

Using a bicycle or your feet instead of the car on nice days of the week
to get to work, or even just to the shops/whatever. Or dump the car
altogether. The lazy or unimaginative ones will baulk at this.

All cheaper, in the long run ;)

Hey. I found ANOTHER dumped bicycle. A not so old Marin Madrone this
time. Dumped in a forest, looks like because it got a flat. In not so
bad condition, elements have started to get to work on it, but I
couldn't live with the paint job, luminescent orange with spatters,
gaudy. Plus sun-bleached. It's got a kick-stand!!

Similar to this:

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2000&Brand=Marin&Model=Madrone%20Trail&Type=bike