New Mac Question

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 27 21:59:23 CEST 2009

Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> I think there is no real need for a desktop unless you are running
> really intensive stuff. 4 gigs of ram is fine, I don't think that the
> bump to 3.06Ghz and the ssd is worth it for the cost. Think about the
> 17" it's not much bigger than the 15" and you get SO much more
> desktop. It's the same resolution as the 24" screen. But don't do it
> if your eyes are not great :) Right now I'm not even using an external
> and it's been fine.

Just one comment regarding screen: If you intend to use both the laptop
screen and an external screen at the same time, I'd try to find a
solution that's not vastly different in the pixel density. At work, I
currently have a 15" laptop screen at 1920x1200 next to a 22" screen at
1680x1050, and it's a rather bad combination. Text is so much smaller on
the laptop that I can't easily switch between the screens - I really
have to "refocus" my eyes. It's still better than having a single screen
only, but I'm certainly longing a bit for my previous combination of a
24" at 1920x1200 and a 19" at 1280x1024 even if the 19" wasn't all that
great...

Martin