Monowave debugging.... into DSP's

EMAIL HIDDEN EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 25 22:30:16 CEST 2009

Jaym

> You might already know from the blogosphere that Paul Maddox has
> started a project (Qix Synth) to make a Mot56k DSP-based synth using
> the Freescale imx51 as a central processor .. maybe check with him if
> you want to get involved.  Even though I was involved from the
> beginning, I'm not really involved with Qix any more for personal
> reasons (troll, troll, troll), so this probably means that you would
> be welcome to join their project .. I know they'd like to have more
> attention on the DSP side of things, and Paul is certainly going to be
> digging into the Mot 56k a bit more deeply, I imagine .. check with
> him if that project is right for you.  Could be that project is
> perfect for you, especially if you develop something of interest on
> the Soundbite that could work on the Qix platform, if and when it ever
> arrives.

:-)
Nice try, no cigar.

And , no we're not looking for anyone else at the moment, but thank
you for the plug. It's also not a good place to start for someone
interested in learning DSP as it's not a polished product yet.

So, to actually provide Tom with a useful answer;

Toad, if you're good with C/C++ and have a PC handy, I'd suggest a
good place to start would be the music dsp list
(http://www.musicdsp.org/) the webpage has a stash of great modules
pretty much ready to roll and the mail-list is filled with very
helpful people.

As Jay points out, albeit in a somewhat terse way, assembly language
is NOT a good place to start with learning DSP techniques. It is,
however, valid when you need a dedicated lump of hardware, that's
small has minimal overheads (i.e. no OS, low power, low heat, etc) and
are willing to spend some time optimising the code by hand for best
performance with the given power.
You can get a lot of bang for buck with a DSP, but it comes at a
price.. There's a trade off in all choices, you have to pick which is
right for you.

However, if you're learning stick with C/C++ and your OS/CPU of choice.

Best wishes
Paul (who doesn't wash his lanudry in public)