Why no 12" Netbooks?

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 19 12:56:04 CEST 2009

When I look at all those lovely netbooks, they have a 10.1" display as
this is supposed to be a "sweetspot" in size and form factor.

http://tinyurl.com/nr8cp4

However looking at this, there's a hefty amount of bezel around the
screen so surely a 12" screen would fit and fit well.

In fact Dell did market one briefly but then dropped it after a month.
Why?

http://tinyurl.com/9rnwvm

I'm sure as low powered CPUs are used in Netbooks that it takes a little
more grunt to run the extra res but no THAT much and let's not forget
we're only browsing and mailing here not playing Crysis or whatever are
the power hungry games now.

Turns out the Intel doesn't want to lose sales to Dual Core laptops....
so Intel is protecting its ar$e so customers wanting big screens have to
buy Intel's larger, more expensive chips - even if they don't need or
use that extra grunt.

When did a CPU manufacturer decide the total spec on a laptop then?  Now
it would seem.

Cheers

Chris