The things people dump..

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 12 19:04:56 CEST 2009

Picked some bits up that had been dumped at the nearby recycle point
('cos that's what they think it's for, duh) I guess folks will just
chuck stuff away and spend £2-300+ rather than buy a few tools,
gradually, and learn some useful sheeit ;)

Most of an older (early 90's) Peugeot Python All Terrain bicycle, wheels
removed and placed next to frame, tyres rotting, no seatpost or saddle.

I bought a new seatpost £10 and also bought a cheap pair of tyres,
Michelin Country Gravel for £6.99 each, surprisingly, these are fine.
The rest needed I had already (many bearings replaced and all cabling)

To complete, I made (eeaarghh) a saddle from the padded inserts in a
cycling shorts liner that I never used and stuck that to an old crap
solid plastic, ouch, saddle then covered with leather that doesn't match
much, heh. It's not uncomfortable.
I dismantled the whole thing, cleaning/regreasing all bearings and
replacing where needed. Wire wool to the spokes, truing wheels blah.
One inner tube had one puncture...
Rims are Mavic Oxygen, pretty much indestructible. To a point.
Frame is the olde' standard Reynolds 531 butted construction (nice
enough) and has the odd scratch and ding, to be expected, but is not as
bad as my other 'free' bike was.

For a ~20 year old bike, it's in pretty good nick after a clean. It
rides quite nice too after taking it out last night to see some of the
Perseids, but is right on the verge of being too small for me.
But I won't grow any more ;)
I'm trying to persuade my son that it's a cool bike that would fit him
perfectly, but that's not working yet. It ain't cool to cycle it seems.

3 piccies in my messy shed:

http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Peugeot_Python/PP1.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Peugeot_Python/PP2.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Peugeot_Python/PP3.JPG

The groovy 15W headlight I made, along with the PIC based dimmer/flasher
controller and solar recharged battery pack. As you may see, it also has
a reasonably rare Biopace Chainset (sort of elliptical) that seems to be
OK to ride. I could swear it was easier on the legs..

This is another fairly solid, cheap bike (less than £30 and a few
afternoons to restore) It shall be for the old railway track and short
journeys pottering about.

Remember you're a Womble ;)
Keep 'em coming, foolish earthings..