New track by me (Kim) and my brother (Sami)

Kim Johnsson EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 11 11:13:38 CEST 2009

Hi Paul!

> Yeah, love the general feel.  The music is ace; very NIN in a way.  I guess
> because of this, I wanted the vocals to be a bit more aggressive and less
> clean.  I also think the vocals are a tad too loud and bit 'on top' of the
> music.

OK, I hear what you mean, you're absolutely right about the loudness.
I just quickly set the loudness to match the loudness of the ending
and tleft it at that for the entire song. Have to apply an envelope
here I guess. On the other hand, zero time has gone into processing
the vocals, as they will be rerecorded anyway. But I'll try to make
them more in line with the rest of the song. Also, the bass drum and
snare seem a bit loud...

I will still try to remove stuff from the busier parts. I tend to
overstuff everything, after which it is incredibly hard to make
everything audible and stand out.

I know that in theory basically each track should be eq:ed to occupy
more or less it's own space in the frequency spectrum, but I wonder
what that really means in practice. Any suggestions as to the workflow
of such an operation? I guess I could "mentally" group a bunch of
tracks together, which by ear seem to be "close" to each other, and
then eq these relative to each other, and then proceed to the next set
of tracks.

Or, I could just pick the busiest sections, and eq with envelopes such
that the eq is applied only for that particular section, and not for
the track globally.

The 'net is filled with great tips, but somehow I just haven't figured
this thing out quite yet.

> But I really do love the track/song..
> Very nice..

Thanks for commenting, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Kim