Test? Is it safe?

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 28 22:04:47 CEST 2009

Peter Korsten wrote:
> At least, that used to be the case. Now that energy prices have risen so
> much, it's probably sooner. We just got an €800 electricity bill for
> three months, but people have been known to get €3000 bills.

It's not just me then.
But my flat is tiny and seems to cost as much as a big house to run...

> What you have to be weary of is lime scale, especially in this country,
> but you can put an element in the tank for that. Total lifespan of the
> system should be the best part of a decade, and my parents-in-law have
> had a solar water heater (a flat panel one)  for ages, and it still works.

Hard sheeit in the water is not a problem at all here.
My El. water boiler is over 20 years old and all I've had to do is
change the ballcock valve assembly once (£5) and repair the overflow
pipe that the original installers failed to do right (£0) I'm pretty
sure the element is fine.

> Anyway, my €0.02 worth. Although DIY is often a good solution, I don't
> believe this is the case when it comes to solar water heaters.

Hmmm. OK ;)