Test? Is it safe?

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 28 14:45:39 CEST 2009

> Just curious: What's the efficiency of batteries? In other words: How
> much energy do you need to charge them as opposed to what they return?

http://xtronics.com/reference/batterap.htm

For lead-Acid the direct battery effiency is 75% but also there are
losses in charging and recovering the voltage back to AC mains also
around 75% each so looking at 40% to 50%.

>From the above link this is interesting....

"To further this example and to show why physics and not some corporate
conspiracy is the reason we don't have electric cars - suppose the
controls and motors on a car were 85% - the over all efficiency is now
only 38 - 58%. You can see that an electric car would use about twice
the energy than a conventional car - not to mention the great cost of
the regular replacement of batteries. This is why batteries are best
used where only intermittent, or very low power use is required."

Electric cars won't save the world in terms of energy usage but they
will allow the pollution to be a localised to fewer places in the globe
(power stations) where it can be dealt with there.  I say go Nuclear!

Atomkraft, Ja Bitte!

Cheers

Chris